Wednesday, June 22, 2005

That's a Wrap!

What is a taco? Webster's dictionary says:
Main Entry: ta·co
Pronunciation: 'tä-(")kO
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural tacos /-(")kOz/
Etymology: Mexican Spanish
: a usually fried tortilla that is folded or rolled and stuffed with a mixture (as of seasoned meat, cheese, and lettuce)

and Yourdictionary.com says:
ta·co
n. pl. ta·cos

A corn tortilla folded around a filling such as ground meat or cheese.


What is a wrap? Yourdictionary.com says:
wrap
n.

4. A flatbread, such as a tortilla or lavash, rolled around a filling.

Webster had no listing for a wrap you'd eat.

Hmmmm... Okay... I sent K out to fetch tacos a few weeks ago. He got me my usual, soft taco, which is neither corn tortilla nor is it fried - is it still a taco? or is it a wrap? I had lunch with friends a couple of weeks ago and got the crispy chicken something-or-other wrap. It was in a tortilla and it was at a Mexican restaraunt, was it just a crispy chicken taco?

To further confuse:
What's a burrito?
Webster says:
Main Entry: bur·ri·to
Pronunciation: b&-'rE-(")tO
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -tos
Etymology: American Spanish, from Spanish, little donkey, diminutive of burro
: a flour tortilla rolled or folded around a filling (as of meat, beans, or cheese) and usually baked

and Yourdictionary.com says:
bur·ri·to Listen: [ b-rt, b- ]
n. pl. bur·ri·tos

A flour tortilla wrapped around a filling, as of beef, beans, or cheese.

Okay... K got me a burrito go go with my soft taco. The burrito was tasty, but it wasn't baked. My taco wasn't baked or fried and neither was my wrap. All three that I got had a tortilla wrapped around a filling. Were they all the same??? Is it all just some nefarious marketing ploy to make people buy food?? What the hell am I eating??? Maybe I'll just have a bean samich' and call it lunch.

No comments: