Thursday, June 24, 2004

Odd Man Out

Well actually straight woman out. That's probably going to be me tonight. We are going to a meeting of GLB parents tonight. We as in me, K (gay husband) and the little people. I wonder if I'll end up being the only straight person there? It doesn't really bother me, just pondering it.

I'm excited about the meeting. I hope there are several people there and several children close to the little people's ages. I am really hoping this will turn into a group that we can be comfortable in and gain new friends - especially the little people. I know that in years to come the little people may have to take some flack for having a gay father. It's not fair, but the world is full of small minded, ignorant people who would rather be mean than stretch their understanding and be compassionate. Having friends with GLB parents will be helpful when any situations arise.

This is also a great opportunity for K. I don't think he knows many gay men who are parents. He can gain some insight into some of the unique challenges that gay couples face as parents (I am confident that some day he and Mr. B, his boyfriend, will end up married). Unfortunately due to the rampant ignorance and small mindedness there exists far too much prejudice and stigmas associated with GLB parents. *sigh*

No comments: