Sunday, September 14, 2003

More On Hope

Unintentionally I spent about an hour with Hope today - Hope that's what I'm going to call the African woman. I scheduled Hope as my last appointment of the day, I did that intentionally so that I would not be rushed with her and I could make sure that she had really good photos of her baby. I ended up spending so much time with her because the nursery nurses were being lazy asses today and would not bring Hope her baby. Hope is having some issues with her lungs and really can't walk down to the nursery to get her baby herself. When Hope's baby finally arrived an hour had passed that I had been in her room listening to her musical exotic voice as she told me about her country and herself.

Hope comes from Zimbabwe her husband was from The Ivory Coast. She has two other children - 7 and 8. Hope also has a masters degree. She hasn't been in the US for more than 3 or 4 years. She told me how lucky I was to be an American where there are so many opportunities but was baffled at the masses of lazy people who just don't want to work. Her husband works two jobs now, I think so they can save money to return to Zimbabwe and buy a house. She told me how the economy in her country is bad but that the American dollar is very powerful there, how one can go with $10,000 American dollars and buy a house there, buy a lot of things. She didn't want to return to Zimbabwe now though, she said that the current president is not good and does not think of the country enough. She said so many more things, I listened intently as she spoke, hypnotized by her accent, enchanted by her sparkling eyes.

When my time with her was finish I was sad that it was time to go. I felt as though I had spent time with a wise sage and was sad that my flawed human memory would not record every word that she had uttered. I left feeling thankful for being lucky enough to have been born in America with so many opportunities. I was thankful for my life and my health and I really really hope that Hope lives a long prosperous life.

No comments: