Monday, April 26, 2004

Unforgettable People

While working every so often I encounter someone who is unforgettable. This weekend it was a lovely woman who had given birth to her second child - a beautiful 10 lb baby by (her second 10 lb baby!!) - just by virtue of the baby being 10 lbs I was sure to remember them, 10 lb babies are not that common and since I have given birth to two large babies I'm always fascinated by babies that are larger than mine were. Anyway... In talking to the mom, who was a bit reserved yet delighted by her baby, she mentions how she hopes this baby looks like his father, a few more sentences later she mentions that she buried her husband earlier this month. Oh... I know I had a dumb struck look cross my face. I didn't know what to say for half a minute. We talked more and I learned that her husband had died of stomach cancer. They learned he had cancer shortly after she got pregnant with her oldest (who is 2), when he got a clean bill of health they started trying for another baby, she managed to get pregnant despite the fact that her husband had undergone chemotherapy and while pregnant the second time a trip to the hospital with severe stomach pains lead to the discovery that he never had a clean bill of health, his scans had just been wrong. Very sad. I have incredible admiration for this woman, I am not sure I wouldn't be crying the whole time if I had to be in the same situation.

No comments: