Monday, August 09, 2004

Hafla


Short version:

Lots of belly dancers, cool dancing, late night trip to get me something to *drink, after **three in an hour I left but not before ***kissing all the guys and the girls. Long drive home.

*Coffee – lots of coffee
**Cups of retched coffee
***Goodbye – kissing everyone good bye that is.

Long Version:

Saturday night instead of our bi-monthly geeky gaming session we attended a hafla. It’s a belly-dancing thingie. It was Mystical D’s very first performance and she had invited us all. Mystical D is married to Bill The Queen.

So I work all day Saturday. I was so busy lunch was vending machine fare of questionable nutritional value. (Warning to others, jerky that you can purchase from a vending machine will haunt you for hours after consumption – I think I’m still burping that cheap jerky). K had done his boss a favor and helped her move ‘a few things’ on Saturday. The ‘few things’ turned into two storage units of heavy items that took from 8 am until 5 pm for them to finish up. I arrived home at 5:30 pm just mere moments after K did. It was a contest as to who was more tired, cranky and hungry – I won as K got lunch from Hooters (Yeah you know every gay man wants to go there). K got a quick shower and we left. A quick drive through Wattaburger for food for me and we headed out to the hafla.

Directions to said hafla were provided by Petey. In the directions we were instructed the shindig would start at 1900 hours. We arrived about 10 minutes after 7 pm and were confused to find things not in full swing. As we paid our $7 to get in we enquired as to when things would be starting and were told at 8 pm. Hmmmm… note to self… Kill Petey for my lost nap time.

The new Mrs. S and her husband arrived shortly after that as well as B and we all stood around plotting Petey’s demise for the time thing. The Bear showed up shortly before 8pm and absolved herself of any blame for the time mix up – it’s really didn’t matter, husbands always take the blame. It’s the Marital Scapegoat clause in the marriage contract.

The dancing was fascinating, the dancers were lovely. Mystical D did a wonderful job in her dance. Everything was over at 10:30 pm.

Everyone stood around until 11 pm discussing where to go as some people were hungry. It was decided to head to Denny’s (where the hell else would be open that late). I needed coffee badly as I had an hour drive home and I was fucking tired.

Our group is great; we all do more talking than anything else. It’s a fabulous group. Sometimes it makes me homicidal though. I walked out saying I was heading to Denny’s NOW, others could meet us. I think I already mentioned I was cranky and tired.

Denny’s. As soon as the waitress got us seated I ordered coffee. I needed caffeine and lots of it. The Queen and Mystical D sat across from me. After a few reminders to our waitress coffee was served. It was the foulest coffee, typical of a Denny’s I suppose – especially near midnight. No matter, I figured that even crappy foul tasting coffee was better than no coffee. Plenty of sugar and cream and it was at least drinkable. The next two cups were equally as retched but I was getting used to it and they went down much easier.

I tend to be very odd when tired and very talkative. I can’t even remember some of the things we all talked about. Politics, piercings, tattoos, religion, pseudonyms and driving directions.

I left about 12:30 am as I had to go to work soon! The Bear wrote directions back home for me on the back of a napkin. I insisted on this as I was TIRED, full of Coffee and I’m VERY, VERY bad with directions. The Queen was trying to give me directions by pointing vaguely in a direction and telling me to turn that way, but thankfully The Bear complied with my demands. I would have hated to have to kill someone.

The drive home was almost as much fun as everything else. I cranked the air conditioner up to freeze, put the radio station on a crappy music station and just drove. Freezing hands and bad music work well to annoy me awake – and if you ad in the full bladder it all works out well.

I got home about 1:30 am and got to bed about 2 am. I still need a nap.

No comments: