Monday, October 25, 2004

Poop Video

No I'm not talking about some pervert fetish video, I'm talking about a potty training video we purchased when Super Girl was first starting to potty train. It seemed like a really good idea. It was Bear In The Big Blue House (which is a whole other issue I'll get into later) which was a show Super Girl LOVED. It seemed promising that she might be convinced to use the potty by a giant ratty looking bear off the Disney Channel where we had failed to convince her to do as such on a regular basis. The video just didn't live up to it's potental. Super Girl watched it a couple of times then never glanced at it again. Eventually she did use the potty.

Fast forward 3 years. Cabbage Patch found the video amongst the hundreds and hundreds of child friendly videos hidden in a cabinet. Every few month when my sanity levels begin to dip dangerously into the 'Will Go On A Homicidal Shooting Spree' zone every time I hear a certain video, I know it's time to change out the videos. In this latest cycle I found that video and put it in circulation. This decision was based on two facts 1) that Cabbage Patch is nearly potty trained and just needs to consistently poop in the toilet and 2) I had completly forgotten the content of the video.

We don't have cable (no we don't live in a cave, we just don't have cable) so Cabbage Patch has never been inducted into the Disney Cult via it's direct mind control link of The Disney Channel. (This seems to only work on toddlers. As soon as Super Girl became preschool aged her loyalties changed and she became a Nick Jr. zombie.) Bear In The Big Blue House was new and exciting for her. All the freaky little creatures were interesting. And everyone of them was talking poop. I watched the video with Cabbage Patch and wondered what the hell I had been thinking when I purchased it. Pretty quickly in the video we have the 'pleasure' of seeing a neurotic blue mouse sitting on the toilet. I'm not even sure you can show that on television! Later Bear is summoned to the toilet to help the whiney little bear out as she's had an accident - again, another creature sitting on the throne. Everyone talks very frankly about pooping and toilets - it's like a conversation with a room full of retired people where the topics range from frequency, laxitives, fiber and 'roids. Just about the time I'm starting to be totally creeped out by the twin otters discussing using the potty in their sing-songy way, it's time for a song! Yeah you guessed it, it's a song about using the potty. Great, a catchy little tune about going poop. Just what I need. A poop song stuck in my head (and yes I did have it in my head for a bit). The video itself is relatively harmless if a bit on the creepy side (at least to me). She's watched it a total of two times. Has it worked? Two shitty diapers later say no it hasn't.

No comments: