Monday, October 17, 2005

It’s All Black And White To Me

The Little People can be so funny sometimes. This weekend during Sunday School (K takes them to that cult practice, not me obviously) the question was asked of the 6 year olds as to who was the betrayer of Jesus (and not the guy who works at Taco Bell), our offspring piped up with “Judas”, and what a proud moment it was for K as Super Girl was the only one to know that. But before K could bask in the pride from that answer Super Girl added “And Judas was black.” Suddenly K is mortified by what has just come out of the offsprings mouth and is willing it to jump back in there. K explains that in ‘Jesus Christ Super Star’, one of Super Girl’s favorite musicals on DVD, that Judas is indeed black. I could have peed myself when K told me that yesterday upon returning home with The Little People. I wish I could have seen his face when it happened. I then explained to Super Girl that Judas was not necessarily really a black man, he was just a black actor in ‘Jesus Christ Super Star’ and that he may have been any color at all (if you believe that whole story to begin with).

The other kid…

Tonight while watching a Justice League Unlimited episode, Batman is singing “Am I Blue” and Cabbage Patch says “Nu-uh, he’s in black.” To which it was explained by K that when someone says they are BLUE they mean they are sad, not the color BLUE… unless they are Smurfs (that was added by me)… or cold (addition by Super Girl). I’m sure Cabbage Patch was just wondering if Batman was a Smurf or cold.

Tough Stuff…

Speaking of explaining things to kids (and ruining their precious innocents by giving the truth), today Super Girl was telling me about her trip to the farm and seeing the cows and her experience in milking a cow and seeing the piggies, etc. Something was said by her that made me realize she thought farms were basically petting zoos with BIG animals. I called her over and explained that many of the animals on the farm became FOOD. Cows that aren’t giving milk become BEEF (It’s what’s for dinner!), piggies become PORK and chickens that aren’t there to lay eggs become CHICKEN NUGGETS. I showed her various things online and much to my surprised instead of being upset or vowing to be a vegetarian, she was fine with it. And when I asked her what she would think when she saw the piggies at the farm from now on she said “Pork!” hehehe… Gotta love my kid.

No comments: