Friday, September 26, 2003

Catching Up and Such

Yesterday was not all that busy but D came over so I spent from 2 pm until nearly 6 pm bs-ing with her. It's always nice to do that. Here is what has been occurring at my domicile....

Wednesday's Dinner Guest

Most of Wednesday was a nice peaceful day. After naps I decided to drag out the paints and let the little people do some painting. I know what your thinking, the same thing I am thinking at this very moment... "What the hell was I thinking?!?!?" Knowing full well that hubby was going to bring a friend home for dinner I still spread the tarp on the table, prepared paint trays for the kids, got the paint brushes, etc. I also got out supplies for ME to do some painting myself. I painted Super Girl's chair (I haven't finished yet). Of course before the end of painting Cabbage Patch had painted her face and most of her exposed skin. I ended the painting a little after 4 pm so I could clean up and get dinner started. I sent Hubby an e-mail asking when he would be arriving with his friend, but by 5 pm hadn't gotten an answer back and started dinner. Part way through browning the cutlets Super Girl yells "Mommy, she's got ink!" So I'm thinking that Cabbage Patch is doing the usual and drawing n her arms and legs with a pen. I go into the living room and what do I see? I see my two year old with a bottle of India Ink that she has poured MOST of the contents on herself and my quilt! Now before I go on, let me explain where the ink came from. Back in college 12 years ago, I took an art class to fulfill my elective slot. At one point my jackass of a teacher had us spend our hard earned minimum wage checks on India Ink and special bamboo brushes for a project - ONE project - and not even a major thing, just A day in class fooling with this shit that smells like... Well shit. Anyway, months ago my darling children were rummaging through my room and came across my art box from college - I put it away in a secure location (or so I thought...), Wednesday Cabbage Patch quietly entered my bedroom and managed to find the art box. Anyway... I see my two year old with the ink all over. I can feel my blood pressure rise immediately. Great... Now I have to scrub my toddler before everything in my house is smudged black on top of making dinner for a guest and making sure that the house is clean enough for a visitor - and I have NO idea WHEN hubby and guest are supposed to arrive. Grrr.... Why did I ever stop having my Valium and Vodka Martini lunches? So after briefly considering bundling up child and quilt and stuffing into washing machine I march both of the little people into the bathroom and start hosing and scrubbing. Sparkling clean children in less than 10 minutes! Back to the kitchen, luckily the cutlet didn't burn - back to making dinner. I discover I don't have one of the ingredients I thought I did for this dinner so I had to make something different. Go back to the living room where I discover Super Girl with a pair of scissors and some paper making snow on my carpet. Dejavu of the head exploding feeling from the other day as I threaten little people to pick up paper and blocks and SIT ON THE COUCH - they watch Spirited Away yet again as I vacuum. By the time hubby and Guest arrive, house is clean, kids are sparkling and dinner is almost done - just have to make the pasta - everything is deceptively calm.

Dinner went great, kids even ATE the food and I got to bed by midnight.

No comments: