Sunday, October 19, 2003

Transient Socks

This morning I took 15 precious minutes to search for matching socks - any socks, just as long as there are two of them. I finally found two that were similar enough (same color) to wear. I hate that. I have a love hate relationship with socks. I love cute socks, warm socks, soft socks, short socks, fuzzy socks, colored socks, white socks - I do love socks, I especially love having socks when I want socks. But I hate socks also. I don't really like wearing socks all the time - my feet prefer the freedom of nakedness or a pair of slip on shoes for near nakedness. Hell I stay home with my kids 5 days a week, I don't' have to wear shoes. When I do wear shoes I prefer it to be pretty shoes that don't require socks but occasionally it is shoes that do require socks and then I'm back to where I was this morning - sock searching. I've bought hundreds of pairs of socks over the years and the same damn thing happens with all of them. After a while I end up not being able to find matching pairs. Sometimes my socks would end up in the sock drawer of the Emperor of Socks' (aka hubby) and I would have to search them out among all the long white athletic socks. I tried for a while to buy only colored socks for myself to make it easier for my socks to be separated from his socks and therefore not end up trapped in his drawer, but that didn't work either, I still had to go on search and rescue sock missions and eventually I would never see my brightly colored socks again... Well at least not as a pair. I kept buying the SAME kind of socks for myself for a few years, my thought was that even if I lost some, since I already had several half pairs, I would be able to find at least a few socks to match up. Wonderful theory, but not something that actually works in the REAL world. I still can NOT manage to find a pair of MY socks! I found a cream colored sock with flowers, a red sock, a white sock, a short white sock with a cow on it, a purple sock, a black and white cow spotted sock and a dark blue sock. Grrr... Yesterday I had managed to get terribly lucky and find a matching pair of white and pink socks in my drawer (why the hell didn't I play the lottery yesterday!!!) - I haven't a clue how they got IN the drawer - I honestly do NOT recall putting them in there, nor to I recall seeing them in there before yesterday morning and I have been in that drawer just about every morning so I should know what's in there. After 15 minutes of searching this morning I managed to find a sock of hubbys that looked similar enough to one of mine and that's what I wore. I generally take a pair of his from the laundry but there weren't any socks in the dryer today. Why is it that all of MY socks disappear and all of hubby's socks seem to stay find able. That man has probably a hundred pairs of socks!!! I don't know why he buys them... I don't even remember him buying THAT many socks! Where do his come from???? Is he some how turning MY socks into his socks? Is there some kind of Evil Sock Magic going on here? Is my husband practicing the art of Black Sock Magic????

um... What the hell?... Better go to bed now...

No comments: