Monday, November 08, 2004

New Spider


One of the perks of living right next to a creek is that there is always some fabulous part of nature right near me - something is always new to me (like the racoon family we see at night as they head to the dumpster for a tasty dinner of garbage de jour or the persimion trees peeking out of the wooded area). One of the bad parts of living next to the creek is that there is an abundance of insects and therefore a favorite area for SPIDERS. Big icky spiders.

I dislike spiders quite a bit. Wait, wait, that's a lie. I despise spiders. I fear them. K is not of the same mind where these icky eight legged beasts are concerned. He shows compassion to the horrid eight legged ones while I look to annihilate them. Over the years we've come to a sort of agreement, spiders who violate the rules of my home (i.e. no non rent paying tenants other than thoes I've given birth to) are to be killed and the ones who respect my boundries and stay the hell out of my house will be left unmolested.

After spawning I realized that I didn't want to pass on this particular nerosis to my offspring and have gone out of my way to show the Little People that spiders aren't so bad (even though it takes an enormous amount of will power on my part). I show the Little People spiders outside and we even take pictures of the particularly nasty looking ones. I have of course taught them the rules of the house. They will dutifully stomp, smack or otherwise decimate any crawly thing that invades our home. Heh. I did this because K has taken up a capture and release policy despite my protests (see, this is my reasoning - if you release said icky thing back into the wild, that just gives it the opportunity to prepare for it's return to my home to terrorize me).

The picture above is the NEWEST Spider around. It's taken up residence outside the window near the front door. As long as it stays there, I will not spray it with a handy and lethal aresol.

No comments: