Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Cabbage Patch B-Day

One of my favorite photos from her 3rd b-day.

Dear Cabbage Patch,

Today you turn 4 and gawd help me I managed to survive your 3rd year. 3 was a really interesting year, you went from being a cute little toddler with the baby rolls to being a little demon on two legs and you lost your baby rolls. I wept as I watched them disappear and your horns and tail emerge. I exaggerate, but only slightly. Your sister became a full fledged demon at three also, and miraculously she became a CHILD again at 4, so my hope is pinned on that. Though you woke this morning and promptly started wrecking havoc throughout the domicile and made me curse my karmic lot in life at the moment.

I'm shocked and amazed at how much you've changed this year, hell you don't even look the same! I keep hoping that you'll look more like me as you get older, yes I know, how horrible of me to wish that on you, but one day you'll spawn and you'll understand my feelings, especially after pushing out one already and having it look like the spitting image of it's father! When you sit and consider how much it hurt to sit and pee after that gawd-forsaken episiotomy, or how your boobs will 'never be the same' after a year of breast feeding or all the lost sleep you got while your partner snoozed away... Well I could go on.. But yeah it is valid for you to WANT at least ONE to look like you.

Anyway, enough of my maternal angst and back to YOU! WOW, you've really become something this year. Your sister went off to school and you have enjoyed the hell out of having the day to yourself! When you aren't being totally EVIL you are a complete joy to be around. I love when you have to crawl in my lap and play "got your nose" which usually leads to the "I'm Gonna Cook The Baby!" song, which you love even though it's all about covering you in butter and basil and sticking you in the over, cooking you with carrots and having gravy and bread.* It never fails to make you laugh uncontrollably.

You and your sister discovered "The Wizard Of Oz" and have watched it at least 100 times in the past 3 months. I've taken to telling you both that you really are winged monkeys every time they appear in the movie (hey I have to do something to keep me from stabbing my eyes out with hot spoons). Your sister is nearly convinced I'm telling the truth (she even asked me to show her a map of where the winged monkeys live on the internet), but you don't even seem to be phased by my insanity, you know you are the supreme princess diva in this house (give me strength) and not a smelly monkey, even one with wings.

I still chuckle when I hear you tell yours sister to stop something because it's irritating. Couldn't it be I say that a lot? You amazed me the other day when I watched you buckle your shoes - hell I didn't teach you to do that! I absolutely love your performances you give just for me. Nothing will top you in a pink leotard, yellow tutu and white boots - let's not forget mismatched socks on your hands - as you dance and sing the chorus from three different songs over and over.

Anyway, I'm glad that 3 is over, but only just a bit, I'm sad to see you leaving your babyhood behind. You don't even look like a baby anymore. Gone are the thighs with rolls and little doughy hands. *sigh* You'll always be my baby though, no matter how tall you get or how grown you think you are. ;o)

Love you with all my heart,

Mamma

*I would NEVER cook and eat my child. My oven is far to small!

No comments: