Monday, September 09, 2002

Ahhh I feel a sense of acomplishment. I finished the little dress I have been working on. I had started it more than a month ago, but then didn't finish it. I got frustrated by the instructions... because they were not how I was doing the dress... *sheesh* how very rude of them. Anyway - it's done.. well almost. I need some buttons for it. I will take a picture of it a little later. It is very cute.. simple but cute.

In response to L's list of 5 books that had the most impact on her.. here is mine...

To Kill A Mockingbird L listed that one also. I don't imagine many people could read that and not be impacted by it.
1984 I did find the whole 'Big Brother' concept very interesting and creepy. But the REAL reason this had such an impact on me was more than the entertainment of the novel it - this book helped me graduate HS. Literally. I was a horrible student in HS. I had the same English teacher for Sophmore and Senior English, so she was very familiar with my sloppy study habits and last minute work. She gave everyone the chance to replace one test grade by reading 1984 and taking a test on it - the only catch was that you HAD to make an A on the test, and she would replace one of our test grades with a 100%. Having failed one test already I knew I had to do this. So I grabbed the book and read it and made a 94% on the test. I was the ONLY person to pass this extra credit test. And.. thanks to that test I made a 70 for that 6 weeks which was exactly what I need to keep my passing average for that year. I personally think that the teacher just could not stand the thought of me being in her class for yet another year so she made sure I passed. ;o) What ever it was, I'm thankfull.
Podkayne of Mars by Robert Heinlein A scifi novel written back in the 60's about an adolesent girl and her family. It's written kind of like her journal with some additions by her brother. LOL. I loved this novel, she was such a strong independent character. I read it when I was just starting HS.
Another Book by Robert Heinlein I can not remember the title.. I can't remember if it was Friday or another book... he wrote so many and I read just a few of them... This one was about a futuristic society of perfect people, except for this one woman who was over weight and all and was generally shunned by her peers. She was lonely, isolated and jaded. She get's an amazing opportuity to change it all and put her conciousness into a perfect body.. a mechanical body so to speak... and she does... but for a price. It's a great book... and it made me really think about how life is what you make it... even thoes who look perfect, or like they have a perfect life, have their own issues to deal with. Kind of a 'grass is always greener on the other side' book.... except.. not exactly.. It was a very enjoyable book.

Well for the last one.. I have to be like L and give several
'Dead Zone', 'Cujo' and 'Christine' by Stephen King these books made me afraid of the closet, realize that even the most benign can be deadly and be careful who you fuck with, karma balancing can be a bitch... My nightmares became more interesting after these books ;o) Thanks Stephen..
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Heinlein Politics suck, what ever planet you live on
Tale of Two Cities by Dickens One of the few books that was 'required reading' in HS, that I loved.
Daughters of Copper Woman I can't remember who wrote this, it's a Native American book that explains the beginnings of humanity. It all started with a woman. ;o) I did not finish this book - it was very odd, but the reason it made an impact was how it explained the origins of men. The first man was called Snot Boy. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well there it is, the list of crap that has helped to form my little intelectual being. hehehe... weird isn't it. Some days I realize that my literary interests are basically akin to McDonalds fries and a Big Mac or Twinkies and a bag of chips. I'd like to expand my horizons and reach for something more like a 5 course gourmet meal, but I think I'd even be happy moving up to something like meatloaf and mashed potatoes. hmmm...... food symbolism... I think I better go make lunch ;o)

No comments: