Thursday, August 21, 2003

Blast From The Past




Recently I was pilfering through my cookbooks looking for an interesting recipe. I found this little bitty cook book that came with my hubby's mother's crock-pot or should I say CROCK-POT - that's how it's written throughout the book. Some of the recipes are pretty disgusting but still entertaining (to me at least). The best part of the book is these little notes at the bottom of some of the pages. They are so dated! These little notes are aimed at the typical 1960's homemaker and mom.

Here they are (with my comments added):

Make MONDAY a fun day - Lock the door... go off for the day. Go to work relieved, or visit friends. Before you leave, put one of these recipes in your CROCK-POT and when you get home your hot food will be waiting! (yeah right.... If I want hot food when I come home from work I call for pizza or pick up something on the way home!)

TUESDAY's a good news day - This could be the day for cards, the garden, or the laundry. Just put food in the CROCK-POT and off you go withoug a care. Dinner will be ready whenever you return! (OK, if Tuesday is my good news day... I'm not going to waste it doing LAUNDRY - I'm headed for the day spa for a manicure, pedicure and massage while sipping a frozen drink and dreaming about sandy shores and a muscled up young guy taking care of my every whim... I doubt I'd even give dinner a thought.)

Turn WEDNESDAY into "lens day" - Photography? Golf? Tennis? Skiing or skating? Whatever it's a good day for, it's also good for a recipe in this book. Be a sport, let the CROCK-POT do the work while you're away! (Why don't you 'be a sport' and take me out for dinner since I'm so damn busy having fun?)

THURSDAY could be a "hers" day - Maybe you're invited to a party, or club meeting. For two or three cents your CROCK-POT will fix dinner while your gone. It does just as good a job when nobody's watching! (Hmmm... for a few bucks will it clean the kitchen after dinner?)

Is FRIDAY "buy day? - Go shopping. Or stay home and rest without running to and from the kitchen. you needn't watch your CROCK-POT, and it doesn't heat up the kitchen either! (no running to and from the kitchen... yeah right... with 2 little kids? sure...)

Every SATURDAY a "no matter" day - Take yourself off the to the ball game! Or follow any sport, sport! Dinner will cook itself. If you plan to get home at 6, but don't return 'til 8 or 9 - no har, nothing will get burned. (Ok, if I don't get home until 9 or so then I've probably already had dinner, sport.)

SUNDAY - church, or fun day. Visit relatives. Go on a picnic. Put food in the CROCK-POT before you go - plug it in - and forget it! mak Sunday a carefree day. (um... I generally don't worry about dinner on Sundays - that's what hubby is for, he can call for a pizza just as well as I can)

heh, heh... who came up with that crap?

I do love my crock-pot though. I used it quite a bit when I worked full time. I don't use it as much now that I'm home most of the time - I don't mind cooking when I do have time to cook.

Oh almost forgot the best part of this cookbook - the back page where it advertises some other Rival products. Here are some things to add to my wish list.
The Can-O-Matic - can opener/Knife Sharpener, The Grind-O-Matic - Electric grinder and chopper and The Ice-O-Matic - Electric ice crusher. How have I managed without them!!!!

No comments: