Friday, August 15, 2003

Puppet Sickness

I love puppets. I've always loved puppets. I think it goes back to when I was a wee child and would watch Sesame Street. I loved all of the puppets (except Guy Smiley - there was something far to creepy about that guy) and I wanted to be one of the puppet masters. My dreams of puppet mastery were left with all of my other childish notions - flying like Superman, learning to speak to animals, owning a tiger and becoming a call girl (an telephone operator - I was 3 I didn't know what they were called!)... mostly that is... 10 years ago my hubby and I joined a church and volunteered to help out the VBS - our task, the Puppet Ministry. I cringed at first. We had to procure puppets AND write puppet scripts that fit the lessons. Hubby had connections, he knew where to get puppets. We went to pick them up from another church, we would borrow them for the duration of VBS. After work one day we went to pick them up together. Then I saw her, her wild blond wig, giant smile and wiggly eyes had me from the start. I slipped her on my hand and called her Sassy! She came to life! She became my alter ego. On the drive home I had Sassy and another puppet I dubbed Aretha talking and screaming and being panicked to be in the car with hubby driving - some man driving a truck nearly wrecked he was laughing so hard. At the end of VBS I reluctantly relinquished Sassy and her posse. The next year we did VBS puppet ministry again - but NOT with Sassy - it wasn't the same. I had experienced Sassyness and the lame dog puppet was no replacement for Sassy. Year go by, I put the whole puppet thing behind me. Then one day I see it on TV. A puppet... doing commercials... the now defunct Pet's.com spokes puppet! I fell in LOVE! I NEEDED that puppet. Eventually I GOT that puppet. Yes yes he did become my alter ego. Hubby hated that puppet some days. My children LOVE the puppet and have gotten him quite soiled - I usually have to either hide him to keep him safe or fight the kids when ever I want to use him.

Why do I bring this up? Well I'm a little off mentally, but you all know that... really because of the box the kids found yesterday - today I plan to make it into a Televison an make Sock puppets to provide programing! Woohoo!

Well I need to go... Sesame Street is on. ;o)

No comments: