Monday, October 13, 2003

Just Thinking...

I started thinking tonight about my imaginary boyfriend (IBF) and I guess my totally neurotic side of me started to worry that someone might think I was SERIOUS about this IBF - as if I TRULY intended to fool people into thinking I had some fabulous hunky sex machine, or worse people might think that I might actually BELIEVE that I have a fabulous hunky sex machine boyfriend. Or the ABSOLUTE worst, that people might think that I'm so freaking desperate for male companionship that I would get an IBF to make me feel worthwhile. Let me just get this in the open, IBF is just a joke. I never have nor ever will pretend to be in a relationship (although there were plenty of times I've pretended to NOT be in a relationship when I really was). I'm not desperately seeking male companionship - I have a husband (a gay one) and I have a sancho, I currently don't have a boyfriend and I'm not really sure I want one right now (maybe I want a girlfriend... Just teasing). IBF is for entertainment purposes only (hell I'll probably break up with him right after we return from our virtual vacation).

Why do I bring this up? Well I think a lot on the way to and from work - I have a 20 minute drive and there's not much traffic. I started thinking about IBF and then it struck me that I knew people who had IBFs - hell in my own family even! And all of them had some things in common - they were all delusional about this relationship, they all thought people believed them completely and everyone saw them as pathetic. Let me illustrate, I worked with this one woman, I'll call her Dora, Dora was in her mid 20's and had never had a boyfriend or a date. Dora wasn't ugly or deformed or anything like that - she was actually quite pretty, a little heavy, and she was generally depressed and fundamentally religious. When I first met Dora she was very mater of fact about the never had a boyfriend or a date thing, some time later she started talking about this man who was in one of her singles bible study classes, a few months later she became somewhat obsessed with this man and would talk about him constantly, within 6 months he started dating someone seriously and she was crushed as by this time she had decided in her mind that he and she had been dating, within a month she had decided that they had been boyfriend and girlfriend and she was very distraught over their 'break up', by the time he was engaged to his real girlfriend Dora was near to having a nervous break down. It was all quite sad.

The family member with the IBF was really bad about this. I remember as a child her saying how a certain local television newcaster was her lover but that he just wouldn't leave his bitch wife - she obsessed over this man for years and even named one of her cats after him (I hated that cat). Another time she spoke of a young man who worked at a book store as her lover - maybe, it's possible, but my sister and I seriously doubt it as she was old enough to be his grandmother. Then the one my sister and I laugh about the most, she talked at one time of having a relationship with a man my sister and I knew was quite openly GAY. Through the years she has maintained that she has had relationships with everyone from the president of the united states to Army big-wigs yet NO ONE can verify that she has had a date in the past 25 - 30 years. It's disturbing really.

Anyway, keep in mind that IBF is just a joke for me. I don't need anyone organizing an 'intervention' for me or for people to start sending me bottles of anti-depressants.

No comments: