Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Permanent Art

About a month ago a dear friend of mine told me she and her husband were considering getting tattoos. He would get the redneck special - a rebel flag with her name and she would get one that featured his name (her's would be very small as opposed to his which would start with the flag on his left arm and end with the fluttering edge on his right arm - very tasteful). I've always considered getting inked but I've never been able to pin down exactly what I would want to put on myself for the rest of my life. I pretty much nixed anything like my husband or lover's name as one never knows if anything like that really would last - also my step mother has her ex husband's name (BUD) on her arm and I know for a fact she regrets that since she and he got divorced about 22 or 23 years ago! My dad has his nick name on his forearm - Ed - I think that's just stupid. My brother has Multiple tattoos - one being his last name in script on his back (9 letters - I'm actually surprised they had enough room on the scrawny boy. His brother-in-law went with him and was impressed that he sat there for all that time and never shed a tear) - No way in hell would I consider my last name (past or present or even future). I had said since having children that if I ever got anything permanent it would be something symbolic of my children - like a sun rise and a moon setting. Anyway when my friend was over talking about the tattoo thing I said something about that, hubby walked into the conversation as my friend stepped out for a moment and he laughed, when my friend came back in I mentioned the sun and the moon thing (hubby went upstairs for a moment) and my friend said "You would have to get them done like tarot cards, the Sun, The Moon and The Empress (me)". For the FIRST time ever getting inked sounded like a really cool idea. So now I'm thinking of how I'd want the cards to look - I already know where I'd get the tattoo - on my lower back. I know - it sounds wacky, but I'm just thinking.

No comments: