Monday, November 17, 2003

MOVIE REVIEW!!
Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service


Recently I've rented two Hayao Miyazaki movies. After falling in love with Spirited Away I decided I would find as many movies by Miyazaki as I could.



Princess Mononoke is said to be Miyazaki's best work. Visually this movie is a master piece, the scenes are detailed and beautiful. Unlike Spirted Away, the theme of this movie is very obvious and easily to grasp. The story is about the struggle between the forest gods and the human world. Industrialization if you will. The hero in the story is trying to find a way to get the humans and the animal gods of the forest to co-exist.

My favorite characters in the movies are the forest gods. The tree spirits are very cute, they kind of look like tiny bald naked toddlers who inhabit the trees. The Wolf god and Boar god are impressive and imposing. My favorite is the god of the forest. He's the Night Walker at night and turns into a kind of many horned buck during the day. The Night Walker is fascinating and beautiful, I think the best animated character in the movie.

This is definitely a movie worth watching. It's rated PG13 for some decapitations and limbs being cut off in battle - really minor and fleeting images. The little people love this movie and didn't even notice that.



Kiki's Delivery Service is an adorable movie about a little witch coming of age and setting out on her own. The main theme in this movie is one of believing in one's self.

Kiki is a charming character and Jiji is quite funny. This is a touching and heartwarming movie that I loved watching over and over (because the little people insisted on watching it several time).

I liked both of these movies. Actually I've liked all of the Miyazaki movies I have rented, I'm waiting to get Castle In The Sky in - it looks fascinating. I've liked Spirited Away most of all, I think it is the best of the three - visually and story wise. I know people would disagree and say Princess Mononoke is the best. Spirited Away had a much much more complex story and the scenes were more detailed than the other two. I loved all the symbolism in Spirited Away as well. All of Miyazaki's movies are worth renting if not buying (I plan on buying them for the little people).

No comments: