Thursday, July 22, 2004

Sew Frustrating

Back in April I purchased a new sewing machine. A Brother LS-2125. I got it at a really good price as it was a new model being carried by my Wally-World and they hadn't put the new pricing on it yet so it was $10 less than what it is normally priced. I did not purchase anything else for the sewing machine at the time. I figured I had everything I needed. I already had 2 other machines at home (my antique one that was my great grandmothers and one I purchased 5 years ago but needs servicing) and had two different kinds of bobbins - plastic ones (which the LS-2125 uses) and metal ones. The machine came with three empty bobbins so I didn't need to seek out new bobbins until recently when I was sewing for Super Girl. I grabbed some bobbins from my stash and started sewing only to discover that after a short period of sewing the bobbin thread would tangle. Frustrating. This is the first time I realized there were more variety of bobbins than just plastic or metal (and I've been sewing since I was 9!!!).

We head to Wally-World with sewing machine manual in hand to procure bobbins. I break out in a nervous sweat trying to figure out what I needed - I can't make heads or tales of the manual. K chooses what he thinks is the right bobbins. We head home. Wrong bobbins. Last night another trip to Wally-World, return previously purchased bobbins, look for correct bobbins - this time with model # of machine written on front of manual. Can't find any that say they will work in my machine. Leave empty handed (bobbin wise anyway).

At home I look up the Brother page and fer fucks sake they don't have my model of sewing machine on their page! What the hell??? I start to wonder if maybe they don't make this machine anymore - it would be just my luck to have purchased the last of a discontinued model that's destined to blow up any day now. I do a search for my model of sewing machine on the internet and I can find it at several different places that sell sewing machines. I search for bobbins for my model machine - in the search I discover that there are no less than 6 different styles of plastic bobbins. YIKES! After much searching I discover what the correct bobbin is that I need. I don’t' know if I can find it locally but if not I know of a place I can order them from. In bulk even. I can order 500 of them if I want! 500! HAH!

No comments: