Tuesday, August 17, 2004

It Is Done

I have handed off my first born child to the absolute uncertainty of the public school system. Despite my pained and panicked look my eldest progeny wrenched herself from the death grip of which I held on to her as we waited to be recognized by the instructor. With the fearlessness she has possessed since birth she confidently strode into the room secure in her place, I was not anywhere near that. She bid us farewell with irritation in her voice as we had overstayed our welcome and she was ready to be at SCHOOL with out MOM and DAD and SISTER. K drug me from the room as I kicked and screamed something about loosing my baby while clinging to her seat. My composure was reinstated in the 'Calm Room' with the other hysterical parents. A tall cup of coffee, a Valium, a shot of Tequila and some commiserating with other tearful parents and I was good to go... Well that and being threatened with having the nice police man in front of the school come forcibly remove me from the premises... I chose to walk out without the shiny bracelets.

OK, a bit of an exaggeration. Super Girl was up right at 7 am this morning. No one even had to wake her, she was ready to go (think of the Sponge Bob I'm Ready song). She came into my room first thing this morning and announced that she was dressed for school (and quite proud of herself about it). I looked at her outfit, a pink and white sleeveless shirt with a kitty on it and blue tie-dyed shorts. I said "Uh no honey, you can't wear that to school. I thought you were going to wear one of your dresses." Thankfully she was more excited about her NEW dress than her outfit she had already put on. Breakfast was toast and jelly with milk (her choice), she was practically buzzing she was so excited about school. Every few moments she was trying to get us hurried along. She choose her pink dress to wear and her NEW lavender shoes. I sent her upstairs to get socks, she came down the stairs in bright turquoise socks. I said "Um... Don't you want to wear white socks? The blue socks won't match your dress." No, no she wanted the blue socks and decided to wear her denim dress to match the socks. OK, not really but sure to look better than the pink and white dress. She chose a hair bow thing that matched her socks and it all looked really cute.

Off to school. After feeding, dressing and fixing hair of both girls I dashed into my room and got dressed. Then it was time to go. A couple of pictures of Super Girl with her backpack on as we head to the car. Everybody in the car. I'm amazed at how smooth this is going. No major issues. We hit the road and Super Girl starts screaming at me that I'm going the wrong way to get to her school. Nice. She does this until we can see the school. Grrr...

To class we go. We wait in like behind another mom and new kindergarten, the whole time Super Girl is trying to wiggle out of my grip to push ahead into class. When it's our turn the teacher says that she forgot to get our family picture at meet the teacher night and takes our photo. Super Girl can barely stand still for the camera as she's so excited to start being a KINDERGARTENER. A few words with the teacher about busses and all and I'm feeling better about the teacher (I had a negative experience with her on meet the parent night). Super Girl finds her seat and is ready for us to go. Hugs and kisses later and she is practically giving us the bums rush out of the room. As we get to the hall way, Cabbage Patch realizes that we are going and Super Girl is staying and the water works start. She cries the whole way back to the car. I manage to contain my tears until I get in the car.

All went well, I'm sure Super Girl is having the time of her life. I'm still paranoid and teary eyed. I'm a mom. I'll be watching the clock and anxiously waiting for 3:15 pm - time to pick Super Girl up. Tomorrow will be a whole new batch of anxieties as she will be taking the school bus to and from school. I swear I'll have an ulcer by the time she gets to first grade - if not by the end of this week!


No comments: