Thursday, January 06, 2005

Showing My Intelect
Or
Making It Obvious I'm An Idiot


The other night K and I were having a discussion about literature. I can't remember the exact details other than my stinging humiliation of being utterly and totally wrong after pompously professing my great knowledge of this subject because I did after all take accelerated English in high school and did quite well in college English.

What was I wrong about? Whether it was The Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner or Billy Budd that had an albatros in it.

It was the first one mentioned, though I SWORE it was Billy Budd. *sigh* We even bet on it.

In my own defence (my desperate attempt to save face actually) both works are HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE and out right painful to read. I actually did not READ either completly (well I did have to suffer through listening to the tape of the poem in class - kept falling asleep and then we read part of Billy Budd in class, again I had trouble focusing my consiousness). I read notes on it and hoped I would be sitting near enough to someone to cheat my way through the test (I wasn't so lucky on either test). So basically I didn't have a fucking clue what I was talking about.

I admit it, I am a semi-college educated dork and I can't remember jack of what I learned in high school. (I told them that I'd never need geometry, but NOOOOOOOOO they still made me take it!)

No comments: