Monday, September 30, 2002

Well the weekend is over. Whew! What a weekend. I worked - and had an upset stomach - ick... We had mexican food Friday night and I had too many jalepenos and to much hot sauce... uggh... so I had horrible reflux. ANYWAY - Saturday night hubby and I went to the Corndog Festival. So we worked on finishing our entries when I got home for work. Here's a picture of my favorite entry by me:



Hubby and I did this one (he's such the Star Trek Geek!):



Titled: A sceen from Corn Trek - He's Dead Jim!

We didn't win for our entries - Whaaaaa! But we did have fun, and that's all that matters. ;o)

Well I've decided two things over the weekend, both are the result of a debate I had with someone I had regarded as a friend... but now... I wonder if I was assumeing too much from that relationship. I'll tell the situation first without getting to much into the actual debate... because that's actually not an issue..I really don't care if people disagree with me, as long as you do it in an intellegent, informed and respectful way. I wasn't completly convinced this person was argueing her standing on an informed level.. actually that I am sure of, she was argueing it purely on an emotionally charged level... which often clouds one's judgement. But... since I like that person, I was going to just drop it since she could not separate her emotions from the issue. And... this person has a problem with people who disagree with her... she's admitted it.. so I thought it best to drop it. OK - I'm going to break in here and state one of the things I decided this weekend - 1) Not to discuss politically charged issues or any kind of controversial issue with anyone unless I am absolutly sure they are informed, intellegent and can be respectful. Saturday after work, I was checking people's blog's and went to a person's blog - this is a friend of the other person I had a debate with. This particular person I do not have a high opinion of... She's brash, pushy, judgemental, egotistical, arrogant and thinks she knows about everything despite her lack of information... and she NEVER let's that keep her from making her opinion known. So she often comes off as a complete idiot. Ahhh yes, she is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot. The only reason I was reading her blog was because no one else had written anything recently! Anyway - I will break in here to state the other thing I decided - 2) To never read anyone's blog unless a) we are good friends or b) I have no freaking clue who you are, so anything you say will have absolutly nothing to do with me. The VI (v stands for village... I'm sure you can figure what the I stands for), had blogged about the subject matter that the other person and I had debated about, EXACTLY what we had discussed... and she basically called me an idiot... nothing that really makes a shit to me considering the source... but... the fact that my friend had such a problem with my stand on this issue and felt the necessity to dis me on this instead of talking to me, that really hurt me. I know I would never do this... no matter how much I felt this person was wrong or being stupid. Friends don't dis each other like that. But... as I said before, I obviously had assumed to much out of this relationship.

OH, I do have to comment on some of the rediculous rhetoric that VI was throwing around... She made some comment on how a crack addict mother can have a baby then go home and neglect it then the baby ends up dead as justification for more government involvement in our lives. Well.. I don't know what it's like in the country she comes from, but that's NOT how it works here. I do work at a hospital, in the maternity area... I only work part time but I have seen what happens with drug babies. They DON'T go home with their parents. When a mother or baby test possitive for drugs in the hospital, that baby is immediatly taken from the mother. The baby does not leave the nursery until protective services shows up to place that child in foster care. The parents are not allowed to be with that child unless they are supervised... and some are not even allowed to see the baby at all. An investigation takes place, the mother has to go through parenting classes, a rehab program and anything else protective services deems necessary... then and only then do they consider letting the child go to the parents. This I have seen first hand. In the past year I have seen 4 drug baby situations in the hospitals I work at. One at my smallest hospital, two at the nicest hospital and the other at the largest hospital I work. The nurses gave me all this information as there are different rules at each hospital - once I was told that I was not to talk to the mother at all because the situation, another I was told I could go talk to the parents to get the information but that the baby had to stay in the nursery... the other two, the mother's had already left the hospital. So anyway... VI's arguement is stupid at best, completly uninformed though... but if that situation she mentioned happens in her country, then it's no wonder she's living here in the US.

Anyway... I'll go on about this more in a more private forum... but not here... I don't want to muck up this page with such negativity... Got to remember the two things - 1) Not to discuss politically charged issues or any kind of controversial issue with anyone unless I am absolutly sure they are informed, intellegent and can be respectful. and 2) To never read anyone's blog unless a) we are good friends or b) I have no freaking clue who you are, so anything you say will have absolutly nothing to do with me.

On to other things... My poor husband... he's not feeling well. He was sick most of yesterday, some intestinal thing. Then in the wee hours of the morning he started throwing up. Poor guy. He's home today, so I'm taking care of him. got him on the BRAT diet - Banannas, Rice, Apple sauce and Toast - at least that's what I think it is... if I'm wrong, please let me know.... I'd hate to make him feel worse. He's so funny though, he has been trying to convince me (and himself) that it's food poisoning... even though we have both eaten the same thing this weekend and I didn't get pukey or anthing. He's also got a fever... He's sleeping on the sofa right now.. looks like a little boy... a little 6'3" 248 lb boy with a full beard... OK, not like a little boy.. but he looks peaceful...

Better run.

No comments: