Thursday, February 06, 2003

Thursday Things To Read

I came across this article yesterday Girls Who Dine Alone May Pay a High Price, I found it interesting and disturbing. My sister and I both had eating disorders when we were younger. I was bulimic in college, she was bulimic and then anorexic in her early 20's. I don't dispute any of the findings, but I found it curious that girls who dine alone or lived in a single parent home had a higher risk of having an eating disorder. I mean I guess it makes sense if you think about it, girls who dine alone don't have any role models pressent to model proper eating habits, and single parent homes, well a girls in that situation end up with kids eating alone out of necessity. I was surprised that there was no mention of crazy relatives always telling a girl she was fat. That was my deal, my family was obsessed with my weight and my sisters. I was always to fat and she always had the pressure of being the 'thin' one. We were ALWAYS being compaired. I think this study is discounting the parents role in this. I've talked to a lot of other women who were bulimic or anorexic or both when they were younger, and MOST of them cited an overly critical parent or family member and their wish to please them as the reason for their eating disorder. *sigh* who knows.... I spent enough time in counseling to wish there was some easy answer and quick cure for this, but I know there isn't. Although I haven't been bulimic in years, I still have to deal with the urge and the emotional link between food and body image.

No comments: