Monday, October 27, 2003

MOVIE REVIEW
Gangs Of New York



This is a REALLY LONG movie - but a DAMN good movie. It's violent and very bloody and I doubt it's historically accurate in other than a wide sweeping way not in a specific incident way. I'm not going to explain exactly what the movie is about, (go here if you want that) except to say that what I thought the movie was about wasn't really what it was about and I didn't really figure out the BIG PICTURE until the VERY end of the movie and I sat there going "Ohhhhhhhhhh.... that's what that was about..." That said, I never at any time had the "What the hell is this movie about?" feeling. We rented this movie a couple of weeks ago and just NOW got around to watching it. I wish I had watched it sooner because I really did enjoy the movie.

The actors: Daniel Day Lewis - I love just about everything this man has ever done. I'm constantly in awe of how he changes from role to role. Leonardo DiCaprio is in this movie as well - I'm not a big DiCaprio fan at all, I generally avoid seeing movies that he is in, although my nephew drug me to see Catch Me If You Can last year and I enjoyed that, I didn't feel that DiCaprio was an exception actor but he worked in the movie. Anyway, he was exceptional in the movie, I was quite surprised. The cast of supporting characters were fabulous also - very believable. I loved the costumes and scenery. My only kvetch - Cameron Diaz was somewhat miss cast. She's lovely and all but not a really strong actress, I got the impression that she was cast for her pretty face rather than her acting ability - luckily she didn't really distract from the complex story. Oh yeah one other thing, Liam Neeson was only in a VERY small part of the movie!

It's a movie well worth seeing if you can handle the violence and blood.

No comments: