Thursday, May 20, 2004

Registration

SUCKED. I'm not that excited about the school Super Girl will be going to. It's very new, all nice and bright and very 'progressive'. I think that's where I have issue. I'm not a huge fan of the 'progressive' teaching or the Montissori type teaching (I think because I went to a Montissori kindergarten at one time and I hated it). Maybe it was the kindergarten teacher that we got to observe. I was less than impressed with her, she seemed almost BORED and was very flat with the kids. I was surprised by that because she was very young. I don't think I EVER saw her smile. Color me unimpressed and skeptical.

To be honest my opinion of the school and the Kindergarten Round-Up might have been colored by my not so pleasant experience of trying to get Super Girl registered before the round up - which included a surly office attendant (why the hell are they ALL surly???), me having to drive back home to get proof of residence (as the proof I brought wasn't enough) and discovering upon return to school that it locks down tighter than a vault after the kids arrive - all the doors are locked and you have to push a button to speak to someone to have them unlocked (this actually made me very uneasy, gave the school a prison complex feel... Very Big Brother-ish).

After the class room observation, we headed to the library (which I WAS impressed with) which lasted about 20 minutes to long - all of the kids were wiggly and squirming by the time it was over.

We headed BACK to Ms. Surly to finish the registration where I discovered that I DID not have all the paper work to register my child for school, where upon I was treated like the village idiot. I commented that it would have been nice to have a list online of what is required to register a child. Ms. Surly assured me it WAS on the website. Now, gentle reader, trust me, I have spent literally HOURS online looking at the school district website trying to figure out what school my daughter will attend, where it is, when to register and what she will need for school as well as registration. I did NOT see the page. Maybe I am the village idiot, but I didn't see the information. Doesn't matter, it just means that I have to go to downtown Dallas to procure what I need.

And Super Girl, well she was enamored with being in SCHOOL. She wants to go NOW. Eh, it will work out fine.

No comments: