Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Virtual Vacation

No, no I'm not planning another fictitious vacation with imaginary people to far off destinations again. It's the Little People. Being little has some serious advantages. Cartoons are more than just escapism; they are an extension of reality. To them things that exist in cartoons most certainly exist in real life, people in cartoons are real Technicolor friends and fantasy fun lands that only exist on the television are most certainly places to plan a vacation to.

I've gotten used to the sudden begging that happens anytime the Little People see a Disney Land commercial. Advertisements for 6 Flags Over Texas cause a similar reaction and actually driving past the 'magical wonderland' of 6 Flags can spark begging, crying, arguing and threats. It's a joy. Often times the Little People will see a cartoon destination and with wide eyed amazement they will turn to me pleading "Can we go there?" Usually a circular conversation then takes place about how it's not a real place (but I just saw it), it's a made up place on the cartoons (Chuckie just went there) and not everything in a cartoon is real (???!!!). These requests and subsequent conversations either amuse the hell out of me or rub that very last Mom Nerve raw. Our most recent virtual fun land is EuroReptarLand from Rugrats In Paris. I get a giggle every time they see Reptar Land and turn to me with the sweetest look and sat 'Pleeeeease! Pleeeeease! Can we go? Pleeeeeease!' heh.

Well I best go, have to start planning out trip to Reptar Land

No comments: