Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Golden Nugget Squash


Recently I purchased the above mentioned squashed. It was something new to try and it was fairly cheap.

Last night I decided it would make a lovely addition to our steak dinners. Boy was I misinformed. It's not that it tasted bad or anything like that. To be honest I have no idea what it taste like at all. I could NOT cut it open. It is hard as a ROCK! At one point I asked K to come in and hold the squash so I woudln't end up cutting my fingers if it slipped. (HE DID!) After several minutes of trying to saw open the damn thing with a big serated knife, I finally set it aside for another day (when I could find my chain saw or at the very least a hacksaw).

Later...

I take back all the bad things I said about the hard as nails gold nugget squash. After cooking it's quite delightful. And how did I manage to cook it... well let me give directions on how to cook a Golden Nugget Squash.

First purchase one very hard golden nugget squash. Throw it at someone's head if you are you are uncertain of it's hardness. It should have about the same effect as throwing a coconut at someone's head. If not, look for harder squash.

Next head home with the intentions of makeing the squash for a quick addition to dinner.

Try to cut squash open with every cutting utensile in the knife drawer, briefly consider smacking it with hammer. Give up after a half an hour and only putting a small gash in the side. Put in fridge while muttering swear words under breath.

Day two, search the internet for how to prepare golden nugget squash and make sarcastic comments every time a recipe starts with "cut up squash". Find one vague reference to cooking the squash whole.

Place whole squash (with gash in side) in pan and bake in 350 degree oven until the small pumpkin next to it is fork tender (Hey, I needed to cook my pumpkin) which would be about an hour or two.

After pumpkin is cooked, remove pan and allow both pumpkin and squash to cool. Later, take large knife and start to cut open whole squash with gash in side. Be surprised at how easy it is to cut squash now. Remove seeds and add butter and salt to pulp, mix well and enjoy.

It's easy! :o)

No comments: