Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Dairy Day

Today has been an odd yet good day and yet I cannot help feeling as if the universe is mocking me. After posting the below quite hilarious comic I left for work. As I passed one of my neighbors he jokingly (and mildly stupidly) yelled out to me to “Bring back something from Dairy Queen” for him. I pointed out to his disappointment that I work at the local grocery store and apologized thinking him the newly appointed village idiot; I hadn’t even realized that position was vacant.

Upon arrival to work, I saw a piece of paper with JUDY in big letters on it. I figured it was some memo telling me to sweep the floors better or that I needed to work faster or stop leering at all the hot men who pass through the bakery or some such crap. No, it was a note of RECOGNITION. Last Friday I did a very special cake for a woman. She wanted a picture of a couple doing a Viennese Waltz on the cake as well as some specific colored flowers and a lot of writing. She was very particular about what she wanted and was somewhat nervous as this was for her mother’s 80th birthday and she wanted it PERFECT. No big deal. The photo she gave us to work from was crappy, but thanks the MAGICAL INTERNET I found a better photo right away and brought that into work on Friday. The rest was just a little time consuming but really not that hard. I finished, I boxed up and was just for a moment sad that I wouldn’t be there to see her reaction when she picked it up, then I just forgot about it (forgot to take a damn photo of it also – DUH!).

Apparently, the customer was quite pleased with the cake. My manager was pleased with that and made a point of mentioning it in her weekly meeting. This made me the star player for the week and I was rewarded with… a coupon for a free half gallon of ice cream. Hahahaha…. Cosmic joke on me, since I generally cannot eat it. It’s exceptionally ironic that this is the SECOND free half gallon of ice cream certificate I’ve received in the past 3 weeks (one is Blue Bell and the other is the stores brand). Ahhh life can be so sweet and yet so cruel!

Anyway, it is still cool that I got a little pat on the back.

No comments: