Monday, February 10, 2003

Judy's Answers to the Monday Mission 3.06

1. In the states, every citizen is expected to perform their civic duty and serve on a jury at some point. This week, I am on jury duty. Have you ever had to serve on a jury?
I've been called for jury duty 4 or 5 times, but never had to serve. Been a student a couple of times, one time got the notice the day before I gave birth, another time got the notice a week after I was supposed to show up and couldn't get day care another time.

2. If you were to ever serve on a jury, would you be able to give someone the death penalty?
Oh hell yes, I might even volunteer to do it for the state depending on how heinous the crime was.

3. One thing that concerns me about jury duty is what my life would be like if I had to convict someone. I'd always be worried about some sort of retaliation from the convict, or their family. Has fear of negative consequences ever kept you from reporting a crime or voicing your opinion?
nope, not afraid of that. I've never been a witness to a crime or anything but I doubt I'd feel fear from that. As far as voicing my opinion, I do that all the time with little or no concern for the negative consequences... I'm very outspoken.

4. When it comes to convictions, I've never even been convicted of speeding (accued yes, but heh, never convicted). Have you ever been accused of or convicted for breaking any laws? What's the real story there?
got a speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago - but will take defensive driving so that will be removed from my record. had a ticket for no insurance and one for no valid inspection and that's it. Never been to jail or anything ;o)

5. It looks like I will have a lot of time on my hands this week in the jury pool. I may get called, I may not. If not, I go back tomorrow. Rinse, wash, repeat. How would you pass the time if you had to sit and wait around from 8am-5pm for 5 days?
I've had to do that before, sit and wait around all damn day. I generally try to bring a book or sketch pad and pencils, maybe knitting. Sometimes a notebook or journal so I can write things - mostly odd observations of people around me.

6. One thing I do like about this "civic duty" is that it will be at the downtown courthouse. I LOVE downtown. There is just so much life there. What part of your town is your favorite to visit? Why? What makes it so special?
My particular town has a beautiful historic downtown area, I love all the antique shops there. My favorite place to go in the Dallas area is a wholesale shopping district off Harry Hines - best deals for great stuff - also Little Vietnam (aka central Garland) where all the cool oriental stores are and a huge dollar store. D and I love to take the little people there.

7. I'm not that outgoing around strangers, so I doubt I will be meeting many new people this week. Do you have any problems striking up a conversation with someone you don't know? Have chance encounters with strangers ever led to interesting new relationships or opportunities?
I'm not really shy. I love to meet new people. I've met plenty of people in chance encounters and had plenty of interesting relationships due to it (and I'm not strictly talking romantic/sexual - friends mostly). Life is all about chance encounters and opportinities, you just have to be open to it.

BONUS: So if I tell you that you're really something baby, will you stay or will you go away ?
Hmmm... depends on if your going to wear that in public...

Today's Comment Question: What toppings do you like on your pizza?
I prefer to make my own pizza - I like artichoke hearts, olives, mushrooms, broccoli, lots of sauce, basil, tomatoes, peperoni and lots of cheese. I really love pizza so I like most pizza that doesn't have bell peppers or onions on it.

No comments: