Wednesday, August 27, 2003

BOOK REVIEW
American Gods by Neil Gaimen


I absolutly loved this book. It has an odd start but a good one. I really can't go into the plot because I think I would either describe it so badly you would never want to read it or I'd totally ruin the plot. I was a little - and only a little - bit disapointed by the ending, not that it was a bad ending, just that I had hoped that a couple of things would have turned out just a little different - but only a couple. I do love this book and I've always love Gaimen as a writer back from the Sandman Comics. One thing I liked a lot about the book is that the main subject - the American Gods - was a subject he had covered in bits and pieces through out the Sandman Comics so I felt like I knew several of the characters and the story felt familiar and it was a fairly simple story although at the end you realize that Gaimen has been quietly weaving in other little stories which he wraps up neatly at the end. It ends as it should, with an ending that the reader expects and wants and with some parts that you don't expect and maybe don't really want. the story is one that could make you sit and ponder the universe and your tiny existence in the universe if you wanted... or just enjoy the story. It's a book I would actually read again - and that's saying a lot (I never reread books). So enough already, get the hell up from the computer and head to the library! READ A BOOK! ;o)

No comments: