Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Divine Secrets

Last night we watched The Divine Secrets Of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I was surprised, I actually liked it. It reminded me of my family and of growing up with my mother... not the happy funny parts of the movie, the painful, angry, abusive parts. I almost turned off the movie at one point, the scene was just far to close to my own upbringing for me. I don't know if my sister has seen the movie, I am curious to know what she would think of the movie.

I liked the movie, but it left me feeling sad and angry. Sad because my mother had a lot of problems that made her act very badly and because of that she wasn't the kind of mother she should have been... she could have been. Angry because I was some what jealous that the ficticious family in the move had a happy ending, something that will never happen in my family. Don't tell me I'm being negative - I'm being realistic, or that I need therapy - been there done that, the reality of what is and is not possible in my family is all to clear to me.

Anyway - if you have a nice healthy family, watch the movie it will entertain you. If you have a dysfunctional, abusive family - watch only if you have been in therapy for a while or are starting therapy - otherwise watch at your own risk. Men - don't bother watching, it's a chick flick.

No comments: