Monday, August 30, 2004

Oh, Did I Say That?

Anyone who knows me well knows that at times my internal filter doesn't work. (Internal filter, as in the filter in your brain that keeps you from saying something assinine like "My grandmother has that very same dress!" to your friend who was just showing off her new dress.) Usually my filter does work. Yesterday at the pool party it worked fine for the most part. A couple of times it didn't.

One time I was sitting with Discontented Lesbian, her little boy, one of Rickie's daughters, K and The Little People. Something about names came up. Discontented Lesbian mentioned that her son's name was Dustin not Justin (as Rickie's daughter had been calling him), they discuss kid names for a couple of minutes then I say "Some people name their kids screwed up things." As you can guess the conversation came to a screeching stop. That's not how I meant it to come out. I clairified and said what I meant, thereby avoiding a big nasty event of Discontented Lesbian kicking the shit out of me.

The other time, I'm still chatting with Discontented Lesbian. We are talking pets. I mention how I hate owning dogs. For some reason this irritated Discontented Lesbian, I don't know why. I explained that I like dogs, I just hate owning one. Not sure why that got to her really.

Luckily there was plenty of eating and drinking going on at the party so I didn't mar the party to much with my foot being in my mouth too many times.

No comments: