Monday, August 30, 2004

Pool Fun

Yesterday K, B, myself and the Little People went to a pool party for the Gay Parenting group we are a part of. I initially had considered ditching the party as K was bringing B with him and I really dislike being the third wheel. I decided to go though. I don't do pools as I refuse to torture the general public let alone people I do know and like by subjecting anyone to see me in a bathing suit. *shudders* I haven't even owned a swim suit in over 15 years. My reasons for going obviously had nothing to do with the pool and everything to do with the party. The hosts of the party were Rickey and Rickie - they were actually my reasons for going - I met them at the first group meeting and became fast friends with them.

So we show up about 30 minutes late for the party. The Little People were in the pool within seconds of arriving leaving me to stand around and chat with the other non-swimming party-goers. That would be The Discontented Stay At Home Mom Lesbian - we'll call her The Discontented Lesbian just to make it easy. We sat and chatted while our kids had fun. She was nice enough, but she didn't seem all that happy. Her daughter had just started kindergarten like Super Girl. She told me this story: Her daughter started school and made a friend. The daughter and friend ate lunch together every day. One day when Discontented Lesbian was picking up daughter from school, Friend's mom mentions how much friend talks about daughter and suggests they make a play date. Discontented Lesbian says what a great idea that is and then makes a big deal of explaining to Friend's mom that daughter has two moms and no dad. Friend's mom said that wasn't a problem and everyone left to go home. The next day when Discontented Lesbian was picking up daughter, Friend's mom said how she was okay with the whole lesbian thing BUT that her HUSBAND wasn't so no-go on the play date. Discontented Lesbian mentioned how she was offended by that, etc. I can understand that and I sympathize, I even empathize as I've been shunned by a mom's group because K is gay. BUT... When she got to the part about having told the parent about her being a lesbian I wanted to ask her WHY she felt it was necessary to do that? I'm not saying hide it or anything like that, but why tell her the first time she meets her? Why define one's self by one's sexuality? Why not just make the play date, get to know the mom and if it comes up deal with it then?

Anyway, we had a nice time. We were the last people to leave, I swear I could have talked all freaking night long. Rickey and Rickie are so entertaining, they have a FABULOUS house and their kids are great. The Little People had so much fun and they got balloons to take home - woohoo!

No comments: