Monday, March 07, 2005

Evil Food

Today I watched (listened mostly) to Super Size Me while sewing. If you haven't watched that movie, I highly recommend that you see it. It was a real eye opener. Not that people don't know that fried, salt laden, sugar filled fast food is bad for them, I think many people don't realized just how bad it really is. After watching this documentary, I'm not going eat it anymore and I'm not going to let the Little People eat fast food at all. (I don't eat fast food very often at all, maybe once a month at that, but that's over now.)

I was shocked and appaled at what damage was done to this man's health in just 30 days. Granted I do realize that he was eating 3 meals a day at McD's, still it was shocking.

The most outragous thing in the movie was the state of nutrition in children's schools. When Super Girl started school this year I looked over the menu and was appaled at what they called a nutrious lunch (subsequently Super Girl eats at school only on very rare occasions). If my darling child were to eat lunch at school every day she would have the opportunity to have something battered and fried every day. This especially bothers me since at the begining of the school year the district made a big deal of them being commited to Healthy Nutritional standards. They sent out fliers explaining that the children in the district would not do any candy/junk food fund raisers, there would be no junk food vending machines in schools and they wouldn't allow cookies/cakes/cup cakes for parties (they caved on that one after several parents complained - I wasn't one of them) as well as fliers touting the healthful lunches. The breakfasts offered by the school is even worse than the lunches as they offer some kind of sugar laden pastery every day in addition to the healtier choice. This coupled with the fact that the children don't have PE every day (I think it's 3 days a week they get it) is just setting up the kids who eat school lunches for weight problems. But I digress.

I'm off my soap box now, got a headache. Watch the movie if you haven't.

No comments: