Thursday, March 27, 2003

Appealing To The Masses or Just Incredibly Stupid?

I bought a different magazine this week, I generally don't buy this magazine, I just saw that there is an article about an actress I like in the magazine, so I threw caution to the wind and tossed the magazine on my grocery pile. I've had the magazine sitting here by the computer for almost a week, and just now remembered it. In flipping through I saw several perfume ads. Not a freaking one of them made ANY sense. And it made me think of the perfume commercials on television, none of thoes make sense either. I honestly would like to know exactly how many of the perfume ad execs are smoking the crack pipe as they think up these ads. Why should two not very attractive models dressed in black standing in the middle of a dessert with the sounds of a word being softly spoken repeatedly in the back ground make me want to buy this particular fragrance? Is it really about the fragrance anyway? A lot of the fashion magazines don't have many perfume samples in them anymore, so what is the selling point in these ads? I'll tell you (if you haven't already figured it out) - it's the brand name. I think what ever designer is the 'flavor of the minute' in fashion at this particular time can bottle just about any scent they want and it will sell as long as their BRAND name is on it. Polo for men always smelled like grass clippings to me, but it was hugely popular for a while. Poison was one of thoes perfumes that had to be put on lightly or it gave the impression of chemical warfare, yet lots and lots of woman wore it that way. Eternity was one of the fragrances I would wish to not have to be trapped near for eternity. Crazy. I don't choose perfume by the lable, I choose by the fragrance that I like. I tend to lean towards floral scents, heavily rose sented. My favorite being Paris (have worn it for YEARS) and Hombre Rose, but I'll wear just about any rose scented piss in a jar, regarless of the price or brand - if I like it. Anyway - perfume ads make no sense - in print or on televison.

No comments: