Sunday, March 23, 2003

BOOK Review!!!

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

I finished the book last night. I stayed up way to late after our bi-weekly game and finished the book. This is a rarity, not that I finish a book, but that I finish a book in about 2 days as my days spent being a full time mom and part time baby photographer leaves me very little time for one of my favorite pastimes - reading a good book. Coraline is a children's book for mature children (probably would mostly appeal to girls more than boys as the main character is a little girl with a penitence for exploring). It's a creepy tale (even creepy enough to creep out a 31 year old who loves S King novels and true crime novels) but not a scare you into a state somewhere between bed wetting and a near death experience book, very intellectual and introspective. I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman, yet I have to admit most of my reading of his works has been limited to his works on Sandman (which is a wonderful work - more literature than comic book and is the only comic book I would read in my 'literary snob' era). Part of me is embarrassed that I have not read more of his works knowing how well I have liked everything I have read that he has penned. My bad. Anyway - back to the subject at hand - Coraline. I was completely enchanted with this book. It was difficult to put down and was a really quick read. Coraline is an odd little girl who moved with her parents to a flat with odd and eccentric neighbors during her break from school. Coraline's parents are busy working parents and she is an only child who wishes her parents would spend more time playing with her. She spends a lot of her time exploring and visiting her eccentric neighbors. One day it rains and Coraline can not go exploring outside, but instead has to explore the flat she lives in... and that's where the adventure begins. Coraline is a smart, brave and even wise little girl. Her adventures are strange and sometimes unsettling not terrifying but definitely disturbing. The story moves along smoothly and seamlessly with plenty of odd twists and surprises to keep the reader guessing. The adventure is a wonderful learning experience for the odd little girl who is adventurous and courageous even if she is small for her age. And I love the ending of this book, it's not typical and that's what makes it great. Read this book, its well worth the read. I plan to read this to my girls when they are a bit older, I think they will enjoy it and hopefully identify with a little girl who wants 'Day-Glow green gloves' and likes to explore.

No comments: