Sunday, March 23, 2003

L - to answer your question of; How about men who never have one single girlfriend, get married, etc.? You know, the ones who spend their lives in pursuit of women, but as soon as they have successfully bedded one, they dump her and move on to the next? When queried about their actions, they say "I've just never met the woman I thought I could settle down with." Or even, in a moment of very rare honesty "I am usually out the door so fast that I never stick around to see if this could have been someone to be a girlfriend or wife. I don't want to do this but I always end up doign it anyway." What I find most upsetting about this is that the running away tends to take place after a very heated and dedicated pursuit.

OK, this is my take on it - I'm drawing on many conversations I've had with men who do this and from my own personal experience. The kind of men who chase an object of their desire with gusto and purpose only to abondon and quickly forget said object after successfully bedding them fall into two catagories - ones who like the challenge and excitement of the pursuit but when they catch their prey the game is pretty much over, so they split. There are a LOT of men who do this. Then there are thoes who are just looking to wrack up their numbers of 'conquests' and prefer to have to work for it in order to 'prove' their sexual prowes (mostly to themselves). And the men who say things like "I've just never met the woman I thought I could settle down with." are obviously afraid of commitment. These are also the men who say that they are looking for a woman and they have a carefully thought out list of (unrealistic) expectations that this womant MUST meet in order for them to 'fall in love'. Sheesh... some people...

No comments: