Friday, April 11, 2003

A askes is marriage a mistake? Is it possible to find a modern day Charles Ingalls Wilder, or are those sorts of people long dead and/ or fictional?

I don't think marriage is a mistake. Marriage is great when two people want to be married to each other. The mistake is marrying the wrong person or being unprepared for marriage. Despite the one major issue in my marriage, I do not regret getting married, and I still enjoy being married. I hope that someday I will marry again (a straight man this time). And the other question... well I have no clue who Charles Ingalls Wilder is but I suspect he is some kind of far too perfect television character. No they don't exist. That's fantasy, which is great for a daydream, but not for real life. Real marriages that are great have two people who have similar goals and belief systems, want to be partners and caretakers for each other and of course they love each other. There are a lot more things that go into making a good marriage, attraction, compassion, kindness, understanding, communication... I worked with a woman at H&R Block, she had been married for 26 years. We were talking about our partners once, she mentioned how when her husband walked into the room she still got all tingly just seeing him - just like when she first met him, how she still thought he was incredibly sexy. This is what I want. Karen had the perfect marriage. Her husband thought she was the most wonderful woman on earth and she felt the same for him. Sadly her husband passed away from cancer a couple of months after we had that conversation. He had a very fast moving cancer, they didn't know he was sick until it was too late. Still, she was blessed to have had such a wonderful marriage.

No comments: