Wednesday, August 28, 2002

OK, I'm going to comment on the tree thing that A was talking about. I completly understand the logic behind cutting down trees to stop the raging forest fires. And I AM a big ol' tree hugger (if I hadn't gotten involved with my husband I was going to join Green Peace). Let me explain the reasoning behind this. The wild fires are burning out of control for months and destroying thousands of acres of precious forest, the firefighters are not having any luck stopping the fires, several people have died in the fires (firefighters) several millions of dollars in property damage has been done already, hundreds and hundreds of people are homeless because of this.. and the fires are still burning... unhindered... what they are trying to do is cut off the fire's fuel source.. that fuel being the trees - they are trying to create a buffer.. an area with nothing to help the fire grow stronger... If they sacrifice some trees they have a better chance of saving the rest of the forest. If they don't.. they really don't have a whole lot of chance of stopping this blaze. Soo... it may not sound like a good idea, but it is. 'The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...' Spock, 'Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan' (yeah I know I'm showing my geekyness again...)

No comments: