Tuesday, May 20, 2003

The Whole Story

Saturday is just a blur of activity. I had planned to have my hubby’s birthday that day. People were coming over for a game and I had already e-mailed them of my little plan. About a week earlier I had told hubby that he wasn’t going to get a birthday anymore (it’s a long running joke with us, I tell him every year that he doesn’t get a birthday because May is just too damn busy). I got all our friends to ‘vote’ whether he would get a birthday or not, my reason was that he was never really born, but an alien so he doesn’t get one, plus May is a really busy month. Everyone ‘votes’ that no he doesn’t get one. I had already told everyone that no I wasn’t going to be that much of a bitch to him, but that we would do his birthday at the game as a surprise for him. The night before I had managed to bake a cake and hide it in the oven. The next morning I got up and iced it before I went to work (hiding it in the oven again) – Said a little prayer that he would not get the urge to fix a frozen pizza for the little people for lunch. I headed to the store after work and got some icing gel to write on the cake, a couple of cards from the little people and dinner for that night. I get home, the little people are napping, hubby is napping (there’s a lot of napping that happens in this house) – I get the cake and write happy birthday on it, then hide it again. Later friends come over, a couple were late – damn them! – so I was nervously trying to keep him out of the kitchen while I waited. After they got here I brought out the cake, he was totally surprised, he actually thought I had talked all his friends into ignoring his birthday. They all gave him the same thing – DICE! (stupid geeky story to that – he lost all his dice at a game day a couple of months ago, so I suggested to everyone to get him gaming stuff – dice specifically – and EVERYONE gave him dice – HAHAHAHAHA!) He love it. I’m glad I could give him a nice birthday – he’s had it kind of rough, he was out of work since the beginning of March – luckily he started a contract job on the 14th (his actual birthday) hopefully it will work out to be a permanent job – and the person he was dating kind of turned out to be a bit on the flaky side and unreliable. So no job, no love life, the least I could do was surprise him for his birthday. And as a bonus for me, I got to try out a new recipe for his b-day cake. :o) (I love to cook).

No comments: