Thursday, September 16, 2004

Leshana Tova Tekatev v'etachetem -
May you be inscribed for a sweet and good year!

Last night started the Jewish New Year. Yesterday was not a great day for the most part, I'll get into it later - I don't want to focus on things that piss me off right now.

Today I'll be cooking a feast for 25. D asked me to asist her put on a reception for her husband's best friend and his new wife. This has become the subject of a bet now. The funds were limited ($200) and the bet was that it could not be done on the funds available. I knew it could. As of yesterday the funds were cut to $150. I assured D that we could do a fajita dinner for 25 for under $150 eaisly. Armed with a list we headed off to shop. We hit the bread outlet first for a huge stack of tortillas, then headed to SAMS to procure the rest of the food. After our shopping trip for supplies to make beef and chicken fajitas, guacamole, pico de gallo, Mexican rice and refried beans - and yes I am making it all, nothing instant or premade - we ended the shopping trip right around $100.

So I'll be spending the day cooking and packaging things up. After Super Girl gets out of school we'll go the lake to recite the Tashlich prayers, toss bread crumbs in the water and empty our pockets (we symbolically cast our sins into the water and leave our old shortcomings behind us, thus starting the new year with a clean slate). The ducks always like this. The kids enjoy it also.

It's a new year. It will be a good year. Leshana Tova.

No comments: