Thursday, October 14, 2004

Who Would Have Thought?

A while back I read an article (I forget in what publication) that mentioned cinnamon had some substancial health benefits. According to a study done December 2003 participants of the study reduced their blood sugars and triglycerides by 20 - 30% and their bad LDL cholestral by about 20%. (Participants of the study all had type 2 diabetes). These benefits are compariable to statin drugs, but no side effects. Another study found that cinnamon cut blood sugar levels by 20-30%.

This worked with both the powdered form and the supliment form but not the oils as the polyphenols have been removed in processing of the oil. Researchers say half a teaspoon a day (of the powdered) is all that's needed.

Anyway, I thought that was interesting, it's not just good in cookies, it's good for you. Maybe I'll get my father in law and my dad each cases of cinnamon for their birthdays (coming up soon).

No comments: