Friday, August 23, 2002

I just stole this off H's blog. I thought it was interesting...

1. What is your current occupation? Is this what you chose to be doing at this point in your life? Why or why not?

My current occupation is full time mother, part time baby photographer. Yes I did choose to be a mother, and I guess I sort of chose to be a baby photographer also.. I mean the job just kind of came to me when I needed something flexible that made a little money (and that's all it makes - just a LITTLE money). Why? Well I love being with my kids, and being a mother is the most fulfilling job/responsibility I've ever had. When I was young I never expected to feel that way. For right now in my life.. this is what I choose - Mom and baby photographer.

2. If time/talent/money were no object, what would your dream occupation be?

Fashion designer, journalist, painter or gourmet chef

3. What did/do your parents do for a living? Has this had any influence on your career choices?

*sigh* that's a good question... My father has been a maintenance man/air conditioning tech for the past 30 or so years, briefly he worked at a few factory jobs, and for a while he worked as a maintenance man at Disney Land (damn that was a great year for us kids!) My mother worked a variety of low paying, dead end jobs... she had many tallents but never had a job that utilized them.. she never choose to challenge herself and find a job that would use her talents or would pay her what she was worth. My step father... well he always took the easy way out for the most part, he was a truly gifted individual. He had real talent and intelegent, but he also choose to take jobs that did not challenge him fully. And every time he got close to really succeeding in his professional life, he would walk away. *sigh* it was very frustrating to live with.

How did this influence me? Well I made sure to have some skills before I joined the job force, I had secretarial skills and did that for 10 years. From my father I got his tenacity to stick with something and work hard... and to let other's notice your work, don't be a big bragger. My mother's career choices made me never want to work in a job like hers, and my step-father's job instability taught me not to walk away from something just because it seems a little difficult or because I may not like someone I work with. I don't give up eaisly.. although I don't always jump out there to take on a new challenge.. sometimes I'm far to afraid to do it.. not that I'll fail, just fear in general. Although.. that's changed quite a bit since I stopped working in the corporate world. Working as a baby photographer has taught me to just walk in and do what I need to. I may not succeed, but I won't fail either. That's helped me get over the general fear I've had of new challenges. I still get a little nervous some times, but I've realized if I have a job to do, I can't just walk away when it's a little hard.


4. Have you ever had to choose between having a career and having a family? hmmmm.. I'm not really sure....

5. In your opinion, what is the easiest job in the world? What is the hardest? Why?

Easiest job - I worked as a receptionist for a school district for a while. All I did was answer phones and read the paper.. that WAS part of my job. I got maybe 20 or 30 calls all day. I'd either take a message or transfer the call, continue reading the paper... I would beg people for something to do.

Hardest job - Jr High or High School Teacher... a good teacher... trying to get 20 + young people in a room to pay attention so you can TEACH them something when they have little to no interest in what your are saying has got to be a thankless job. And the pay is really awful. God Bless all the good teachers in the world, may they not become jaded and disillusioned.

I got my husband to answer the same questions - his answers are a lot more to the point than mine hehehe... I do talk a lot. here are his answers:
1. Tech Support -- NO. It's dull and boring. No challeng in it.
2. I'd be a professional hypnotist...What kind of question is that?
3. Movie Producer and Bookkeeper. Yes, avoid Hollywood at all cost!
4. Nope.
5. Cashier is the easiest, mindnumbingly dull.
President of the United states is the hardest due to the fame and the pressure.

OK, so last night I didn't get much sleep. I went to bed at my usual - midnight. Turned off the light and then I heard a noise... a soft noise.. like paper being blown. I figured it was the celliling fan blowing some paper. Then I hear another noise... hmmm.... not paper this time.. After 10 mins of this.. I turn the light on and look around. No noise now, I can't find any paper.. OK, I'm having flash backs from "The Others" now... Then I reason.. I must have a MOUSE in my room! DAMN IT! So I go back to bed. But I can still hear that little fucker.. And I didn't get much sleep, I'm such a light sleeper... I should have done what D did for her insomnia - Tylenol PM and some wine! hmmm... maybe just the tylenol PM, I don't have any wine... Anyway.. I'd hear something and I'd think "Damn it! That little bastard is on some paper... Fuck! now's he's chewing my furniture.." lol.. I'm going to put out some poison tonight or a trap.. I really wish I still had my cat.. she was a damn good mouser.

Well I best go for now... gotta go hunt down a mouse...


No comments: