Wednesday, October 23, 2002

Ahhh a little something for self improvement...
The Word of the Day for October 23 is:

tousle • \TOW-zul ("OW" as in "cow")\ • (verb)
: dishevel, rumple

Example sentence:
Vic stood in front of the mirror and tousled his hair, trying to master the cool, disheveled look.

Did you know?
"Tousle" is a word that has been through what linguists call a "functional shift." That's a fancy way of saying it was originally one part of speech, then gradually came to have a different function. "Tousle" started out as a verb back in the 15th century. By the late 19th century, "tousle" was also being used as a noun meaning "a tangled mass (as of hair)." Etymologists connect the word to an Old High German word meaning "to pull to pieces."

I found that on Merriam-Webster OnLine after reading an article about bad grammar TALK GOOD . I realized that I really do need to work on my grammar and spelling... that's a bit of a lie. I've known for a long time that I needed to work on it. I appologize to all of you who read my ramblings and have to suffer through my awful grammar and deplorable spelling. I'll try to work on that.. *gotta find a way to do spell check on these posts*....

Anyway, off to my scary novel.


No comments: